Friday, December 18, 2009

Letting it Out

Today I was thinking (yeah, big shocker) about Vincent Luu. It's sad beyond words, but it brought to mind how little we say to those we admire, and how the only time your admiration may come to light is in their obituary. I tried making a list of how many people I admire who I've never said a word to, and who might never know. As a teenager, I know firsthand there will always be dark moments when you think nobody cares. I don't want people I know leaving without knowing that somebody thought they were cool, even if that somebody was just a freshman sitting in the corner or a little girl watching from the sidelines.

If you are on this list, I may not know you that well, but you may have made an impact on my life that I will never forget, you may be someone I admire, or, in a lot of cases, I may not talk to you a lot, if at all, but I think you are really cool.

1. Thomas
2. Mike
3. Rachel
4. Alix
5. Ben
6. Wolfe
7. Stephanie
8. Ava
9. Sushii
10. Keien
11. Alex
12. Yuling
13. Ali
14. Amanda
15. Sara
16. Aldrich
17. Juan
18. Thais
19. Saadia
20. Mr. Marra
21. Ms. Hill
22. Ms. Couper
23. Ms. Paregian
24. Ms. Trombley
25. Keisha
26. Tim
27. Elliot
28. Ryan
29. Mike
30. Maya

Disclaimer: If you are not on this list and call me a friend, then know you're not here because you should know that I love you and think you are amazing :)

This isn't some stupid chain letter, something I saw and felt bad about and posted, this is something I thought might make a difference. Guys, tell people you respect that you respect them; even the awesomest people have their doubts, and need to know that someone, somewhere, is better off because of them. Do this yourself if you feel like it, or not; just please think of the people you know, and let them know that they make a difference to you. No anvil's going to fall on your head if you don't do this, but if you do, post a note, make it your own, and spread the word. Thanks for bothering to read :)

-Ali

1 comment:

  1. Awww thank you! I'm honored! This is such a good idea... I really haven't been thinking about Vincent's death at all; I'm weirdly numb to it. But my friend's dad just died unexpectedly, and I've definitely been thinking about that. It makes you go all weird and maudlin and want to write sappy notes to every person you love. Anyway, this is a really smart way of dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete