Friday, August 20, 2010

Comeuppance

If there is any such thing as comeuppance
One day I'll get my I-told-you-so
You'll have ignored me time and time again
And it will finally catch up to you
They'll have left you
He'll have left you
(Whoever "he" is)
I'll still be right here
Doing what I always do
Taking out the trash
Sweeping up the debris
And cleaning up the devastation in your wake
And I'll stand there
Amongst the burnt out cigarette butts and broken dreams
And I'll let it rip
What's been due to me all these years
I'll say it across the empty junkyard
(Your rats of friends will have long since disappeared.)
And you'll look up at me with tears in your eyes
"Do you need me?"
And you'll come running
And I'll still be right there
And I'll whisper it to myself at night
Rolling it around on my tongue
Letting it ghost past my lips
"I told you so."

No comments:

Post a Comment